Saturday, May 31, 2008

A shot on my liking of songs

The thought of writing on this topic came on the day when there were elections at local place (Noida) and it was official holiday in our office. However, with the mutual consent our team decided to work on this day which was Friday and take a break on the working day (Saturday) to enjoy having two day long weekend.

So, here I was sitting in office with handful of my team members doing usual project work. The silence of the facility sparkled thought in my mind to listen to all my favorite songs and exploiting the opportunity to max of dull day (in terms of work) I thought to put my thoughts about my songs world.

Coming from a normal middle class family I didn’t had luxuries to have all modern musical gadgets but I managed to get one Philips radio in 2nd class. The initial liking of songs was limited to the usual stuff played on different radio channels usually Hindi ones.

After some years we got our Philips Audio System and with this started the habit of listening to favorite songs again and again in as much loud voice as you can till either your folks say to shut it off and study or your neighbors want to have a sleep.

The next some years passed with bunch of cassette collection and some exchanged business of cassettes with friends.

The peak time when I fell in love with songs was during my graduation years where we had luxuries like 24x7 internet facility and friends with tons of knowledge about songs across border (western music especially English ones). The luxury of having personal computer after 3rd semester gave me chance to pick from the different type of music genres available on the Local area network (LAN) and save on my hard disk for soft listening. The hobby started with slow old Hindi songs of Kishore, Jagjit Singh etc. But with time the Hindi arena lost the ground and my love shifted to western music. The first one from those was also slow but slowly and slowly I got to know about the bands and songs. This all started the paradigm shift in the names of songs folder in my hard disk drive.

With time I got to know much more about different music bands, hit, songs, albums, artist etc. The first western music band which I started listening in big time was ‘Nirvana’. I found its songs quite different in the way of lyrics and music. The band had a blend of both soft and hard core rock songs and that I liked most. Suddenly my focus shifted to hard core rock, metal type western style music with handful of good soft ones also.

The choices of my songs have always varied from one extremity to the other. It started with old Hindi stuff like Jagjit Singh, Kishore etc. to western music bands like metallica, iron maiden.

Although I loved to keep all the songs of any particular album but the limitation of my hard disk space prompted me to keep only selective ones. I started the new hobby of collecting lyrics of various songs to just read the lyrics and sing them whenever they are played. In the meantime I attended many rock concerts held in fest of my own college and other near by colleges in Ahmedabad.

Graduation got over and with that the never ending hunt of new songs was eased down and I was left with somehow same collection to listen to during my pass time. But I had satisfaction in that whatever I had was either my favorite or one of the biggest ever hits of there time. In the life after I joined my first IT Company ‘InterraIT’, I was lucky in that I almost managed to get hold of most of favorite songs lying here and there in the company’s network.

When I started writing this article ‘Nirvana’ songs were playing in the background of area I was located in my office in my manager’s machine. I was in middle of this article when my team members left for the day and suddenly there was ultimate silence in the whole facility. I played no songs from time when I was in middle of writing this article till now when I m on the verge of ending it since I thought to concentrate on this and give the ‘Best Shot to my Songs World’.

No comments: